Sunday, June 14, 2009

Tribute to a Soldier

Today is my grandpa - Dale P. Randall's 90th birthday!!! We had a celebration with the Randall clan yesterday to hang out with grandma and grandpa Randall's posterity as well as appreciate a man's well lived life. We weren't allowed to light candles in the church, but that's ok it wouldn't have been a good idea with the oxygen tank right there. ;) Grandpa was a good sport about pretending to blow them out.Grandpa Randall was a Major in the United States Air Force, flying a B-17 for 37 missions during WWII. He is a man with incredible honor and integrity, admired by many and an amazing example with tons of love to give to everyone, including the love of his life Maxine, his 8 surviving children and many grandchildren, great and great great grandkids.
Wouldn't you want a piece of his legacy to carry around with you?
'
We all got the chance to sit around grandpa and hear stories from his life, ask questions about his war experiences and enjoy his humor even at 90. One of my favorite questions asked was, "In all your 90 years, what lifetime advice do you have to give?" With a deep breath, only a moments hesitation and a tear in his eyes he said, "Live the gospel. It will bring you more happiness and joy than anything else."
This came from a man who served 5 missions for his Heavenly Father, one as a young man and 4 with his beloved wife Maxine who he has been without for these last 14 years. He is the true example of a Celestial being.
For everything you have meant to me in my life, I live by your example grandpa. I will love you forever!!! You are my Hero!!

4 comments:

ade said...

Eli - that was such a beautiful post. Thanks for sharing that. I am so glad that you are in the family!

The Martin Family said...

Loved this post! He sounds like an amazing person. What a fun way to celebrate his life!

We missed you in St. George!

J n Bee said...

Wow!
You gave me chills up and down. What a sweet post! Don't you just love that bundle of joy? I loved him from the first bear hug he gave me!
I think it's so wonderful to have such a great, directly linked example for us.
Thanks!

SqUiRt said...

I love Grandpa Randall (even though he's not my real grandpa, he always makes sure you feel like one of his grandkids. Bear hugs, tickles and all)! He is definately one AMAZING guy!