Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Innovations

Alex and I decided during FHE a few weeks ago that we were going to try one new meal a month. We had gotten several cookbooks for our wedding and we are going to put them to good use.
The first one we decided to try was from a Campbell's book which is really simple because a lot of their recipes involve a can of soup. They had some interesting ideas, but one of them called "Maccaroni Bake" sounded worth a try. The first time we made it though it seemed kind of bland. Here's where the innovation comes in. The second time I made it I thought to myself, what would make cheesey noodles taste better.... hmmm what if I added some oregano? and what's even better than campbell's cheesey soup but REAL cheese! So I dumped three different kinds of shredded cheese into the mix. Then when it came to the topping - bread crumbs - I thought plain ol' bread crumbs. I wish they were Italian, so I added Italian seasonings and it was surprisingly scrumptious!!
For our second choice this one wasn't really a new recipe, but a new idea. I LOVE soup and bread, why not put them together. A coworker told me about Bear Creek's creamy potato soup. It sounded yummy so when I made it, instead of all water and soup, I did half water and half milk. (that heats up extremely fast, keep an eye on it) The milk makes the soup so much creamier. I also took inspiration from our previous innovation and added CHEESE. Yes we LOVE cheese in our house. So with a few different types of cheese just melted right in it was, again DELISH!!! It has become a favorite and we have it often. It's a good comfort when it's cold outside.
Life is full of time to experiment... wait did I hear that from Alex ;) But wherever you do it, the kitchen, the garage, with electronics or your wardrobe it's always fun to mix it up a bit. It may not work out the first or last time you try it but at least you tried. Of course I left out the times it hasn't worked :)

What new things have you guys tried?

1 comment:

J n Bee said...

i love your not following the recipe style. it drives j crazy when I don't know what I'm doing and I go for it!:) love you!